Wednesday 12 November 2008

Best Gas Mileage - 2007 Nissan Altima Review – Style, Comfort, Value and Big-3 Crushing Economy

I've reviewed a lot of cars in my career, and there's always something to like about each of them, some more than others. I went in to the review of the Nissan Altima expecting a hum-drum, mid-sized, mid-range car, but it has more going for it than I expected. It's as comfortable as any Altima has been, more affordable than I remembered, and the damn thing gets 34mpg on the freeway, despite having enough space and comfort to satisfy all but the most eccentric of tastes.

First thing I noticed about the Nissan Altima was that they gave me a base model. It's pretty uncommon for a manufacturer to ask me to review a car that isn't totally trimmed out with all of the latest, greatest amenities, so it struck me a bit funny they'd do this. It was a bit odd, at first, but once I drove it I understood. Even without the leather, navigation and a bell & whistle assortment I can't know I'm missing, the car still managed to wow me. And how did it wow me? Well just read on and you'll find out, of course.

The styling of the Altima isn't the lumpy bar of soap it was in the 1990s, because that car was half-about hideous no matter how well you can manage to convince yourself otherwise. Those days are done and gone, and the new Altima looks fantastic. I don't care who you are, or what you're interested in, but this car is a stylish ride by any account.

It's about the size of the slightly more economical Nissan Sentra, but has a tighter, more solid feel. It's a narrow car, but still has the fifth seat in the back, so with the 60/40 fold-down seats, the interior space is appropriate without the car feeling too big.

The engine is a little bit louder than I'd have liked, but it's a 175hp four-banger with uncommonly good gas mileage (at 34mpg on the freeway, it's more economical than my mom's old 1986 Civic, despite being twice the size, twice the comfort, and frankly just about twice the everything. The standard dual exhaust helps out quite a bit, I'm sure, and though it isn't a runaway screamer, it's plenty quick enough. There is an optional 3.5 liter V6 if you want a racey ride, and I will recommend it for the fun-factor, but it's an economy versus acceleration debate, and one you're free to make on your own.

You'll still enjoy Nissan legendary quality, and my complaints were scant few at best. The double-security measure key system is smarter than you'd expect, even though the key plug is in a weird place. It takes a few days to get used to, and it's no big deal since it prohibits the possibility of hotwiring, theft and adds an extra ounce of curious coolness, but I'd say it's a tad of a matter of taste.

It all starts at $20,300, and for just $300 you simply have to opt for the ABS. If you've never had it, trust me, it's worth a hundred-times as much in peace of mind, especially in inclement weather, and once you've had it, you'll never go back. It won't up your resale, but not having it will just about kill your value.

For more articles by Brian White, please visit AboutS

No comments: