Tuesday 17 February 2009

Best Gas Mileage - How Can I Improve My Gas Mileage

The pressures and temperatures inside an engine are intense. Even during normal operation, the heat of combustion and the rush of the exhaust gases is enough to eventually grind down the sturdiest of metals. Combined with the friction created during cold starts when oil is mostly sitting at the bottom of the oil pan, the wear suffered by an engine over the course of its lifetime can affect both performance and efficiency as the years go by.

I have a fairly lengthy drive to work and back every day, and like many people in my situation, I have been trying to think of ways to improve my gas mileage. With the amount of traffic that I have to deal with, my commute can sometimes last for more than an hour, and all of that idling and stop and go can really take its toll on my fuel economy.

One of the first things I tried was to change my driving habits. To begin with, I now try to avoid jumping off the line at red lights or when the car ahead of me moves up a few feet. By accelerating slowly and gradually, I use less fuel. I might not win any stoplight grand prix's, but the amount of gas I save more than makes up for it.

Another tip I found useful was to be more careful about planning my stops. Since I take the same route every day, I know the roads very well. This means that I know if there is a stop sign coming up around the corner, or if traffic will most likely be backed up at the bottom of the next hill. Instead of just keeping my foot on the gas and braking at the last minute, I coast to slow down, only using the brakes for gradual stopping when I am close to where I need to immobilize the car. I've also started coasting down hills if I am certain that I can maintain a speed that matches the flow of traffic around me. These changes have helped me to improve my gas mileage, and take some of the wear and tear off of my car.

Of course, it wasn't just my driving style that I changed. At the recommendation of my mechanic, I also tried using a synthetic fuel additive. The additive helps to remove fuel deposits in my engine, particularly on injectors and intake valves, and I have noticed a substantial increase in my fuel mileage since I began to put it in my car. Not only that, but my vehicle's performance is better too, since my injectors can spray fuel properly now, leading to better combustion. It's also helped reduce some hesitation that had developed as a result of the deposits that built up during all of my stop and go driving. The synthetic additive has really made a difference in my engine.

For over 25 years Vincent Platania has been marketing, consulting and formulating high performance lubricants.Source for AMSOIL, the World's Best Synthetic Motor Oils and FiltersVisit

No comments: